Friday, February 1, 2013

Race Wait

This time last winter I weighed in at 130lbs. I'm currently hovering around 140lbs. Wet and naked.

This time last winter I was running 17:30's at Fudge 5K. I'm currently running north of 18:30.

I would say that I'm in about the same shape cardio-wise, so the difference in time can most likely be attributed to the extra bulk that I've put on from all of the recent lifting and swimming.

My core is definitely feeling stronger, I'm much more mechanically balanced, and the leg pains from November and December are pretty much gone, thanks in large part to the strength training.

I was strength training 4 to 5 times a week for about a two month stretch as my weight steadily rose. I was expecting to lose a couple of seconds per mile, but not 15 to 20 seconds as the Fudge races have shown. On the flip-side, with the added strength, I haven't had any issues doing back-to-back long runs.

Now it's just a matter of finding the right balance to allow me to run faster, run longer, and, more importantly, run injury free.

I've since cut the weight training down to 1 to 2 times per week, and replaced it with a few more running miles.

It'll be interesting to see how my Fudge time gets reflected as my weight (hopefully) begins to come off heading into Boston.

I guess we'll just have to weight and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment